NAMI Kansas Introduction
You Are Not Alone
When a serious mental illness strikes you or someone close to you, you may feel very much alone. Obtaining access to services and support which can assist you through this difficult time can often be confusing and somewhat overwhelming. Once "in the system", your feelings of isolation and confusion can persist. Service providers may not take the necessary time to fully explain a serious mental health condition and how it affects you or your loved one. What is the diagnosis? What treatment and service options are available? What is expected of you?
NAMI Kansas would like to reassure you that you are not alone. There are many others who have shared questions, anxieties and experiences similar to yours. This web site has been prepared to facilitate access to services and support for persons affected by mental illness, including the individual living with mental illness and family members and others who serve as caregivers.
What does the National Alliance on Mental Illness do in Kansas?
With our affiliates, we provide programs of education, support, and advocacy for people living with mental illness, their families and friends. See our listing of affiliates and support groups, their contact information and meeting schedules at the Affiliates & Support Groups tab. Group information is subject to change. Contact the local group or NAMI Kansas by phone or e-mail to verify the current meeting schedule.
- We advocate for improved community-based care for people with mental illness, such as improved access to medication, housing, and supported employment.
- We work to improve institutions and organizations in Kansas that serve people with mental illness.
- We help show the importance of funding research on mental illness.
- We provide free education programs to the community regarding mental illness and its treatment.
- We advocate to eliminate discrimination and stigma against people with mental illness.
- Most NAMI activities are free of charge. You do not need to be a member to participate. But your membership and your contributions make NAMI stronger and better able to accomplish our important mission.
Contact NAMI Kansas to learn more.